Thin Film Solar Cells from Silicon
Moving from Silicon Solar Cells to Thin Films
The big switch from being dependent on perishable energy sources to using clean and renewable sources of energy is an unstoppable phenomenon, one which is bound to shower plenty of benefits on consumers as well as Mother Nature. This big leap towards a better future is powered by the increased utilization of renewable resources, with solar power being the biggest contributors among several other resources.
Solar energy, at present, is the cleanest and the most abundantly available forms of renewable energy available to mankind. It has the potential to provide for the current power consumption needs of the society. However, there are only two primary constraints that hinder the process of full utilization of solar energy, which comprise of the manufacturing expenses and the power efficiency conversion rate.
Since the ideal balance between cutting down the manufacturing expenses and multiplying the efficient conversion rate hasn’t been reached yet, the efforts must be channelized towards manufacturing a perfect solar module that consumes limited finances and stills offers the required level of efficiency rate for converting solar energy into electricity, the chances of which are somewhat better now with the availability of thin film solar cells.
An Introduction to Thin Film Solar Cells
The solar power industry has come a long way from what it used to be years ago. Silicon based solar cells, one of the main components of solar power generation, have been there for more than 50 years now. However, their low efficiency rate of converting solar energy into electricity and the high manufacturing costs are items of history now. This coming period is the age of Thin Film Solar Cells, which are known to be far more efficient and economical when compared to their silicon predecessors.
Thin solar cells, primarily named after their thin dimensions, are advanced and well-equipped soldiers of war for producing clear, inexpensive, and more efficient form of energy, helpful to both consumers as well as the industry. From the manufacturers’ point of view, thins films have the potential of cutting down the cost of producing solar cell modules by a dramatic amount. First of all, these films tend to reduce the required amount of material thickness to 1 micron. Secondly, they can cover a wider area, which, in turn, enables manufacturers to increase their production volume. It is because of these two unique characteristics that manufacturers are able to minimize the material expenses, thereby making thin films a cost effective means of harnessing solar energy.
As far as the consumers are concerned, thin films have enabled them to include highly effective photovoltaic material into the architecture of their buildings itself. This further helped in the procreation of a relatively new industry, Building-Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV), which is also one of the fastest advancing branches of solar power industry in the present day world.
Different Types of Thin Films Solar Cells
Currently, there are three types of thin film solar cells that are being manufactured in the industry, namely cadmium telluride (CdTe), copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS), and dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSC). Of these three, the cadmium telluride (CdTe) cells are relatively more popular and in practical utilization as against the other two categories. However, all these films are unique in terms of their nature and properties, and it is because of their innovation and progress that the solar industry has experienced a substantial boom in the past few years.
The Future Story Thin Film Solar Cells
Today, the primary objective of the energy world is to use renewable resource technology for facilitating the transition from the present, polluting utilization of non-renewable sources of energy to a technology that supports far better, cleaner and effective form of energy. Solar energy, which is perhaps the most sparkling forms of energy available in copious quantity, is one such eco-friendly way of reaching the self-sufficient and energy conserving future. Though silicon cells dominate the current chapter of the solar power industry, the efficiency and cost effectiveness of thin film cells will surely succeed in the times to come to build a better environment, while fulfilling the energy needs of the consumers and industry.
Thin film solar cells!
- Tue, 20 Aug 2019 13:43:18 +0000: Hiring Trends to Know If You Want a Job in Alternative Energy - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Due to lowering technology costs, public and private investments, and ethical pressure, the demand for green energy and corresponding jobs is rapidly increasing.
- Tue, 20 Aug 2019 13:41:42 +0000: Unlocking the Future of EV’s with Ultra-Fast Charging and Artificial Intelligence - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
In this feature, Dr Doron Myersdorf, CEO of StoreDot, explores how AI might just hold the key to solving these issues, and the potential of this approach for the future of energy storage and EVs.
- Mon, 19 Aug 2019 12:53:11 +0000: Newly Formed Strategic Solar Sourcing Equips Small And Medium Size Companies To Compete In Solar - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The newly formed Strategic Solar Sourcing will provide enterprise-quality, supply chain services and products for residential and C&I solar installers, developers, EPCs, and other solar professionals with direct-to-manufacturer pricing without the need for large purchases.
- Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:56:21 +0000: The Latest Developments in the Electric Vehicle Industry - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The electric vehicle market is performing better than ever before, averaging over 4,000 new registrations per month in 2017.
- Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:36:03 +0000: vHomeInsurance.com - Home Insurance Research and Data - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
vHomeInsurance.com analyzes home insurance, climate and other environmental factors that impact insurance.
- Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:24:02 +0000: EY Survey Finds Us Consumers, Businesses Expect Massive Energy Transition in Next Decade - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
"Across the US, energy consumers are caught between two desires: protecting the environment while keeping energy costs in check," said Mitch Fane, US Energy Market Leader, Ernst & Young LLP.
- Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:22:44 +0000: Cracking the Code of Biomass Corrosion with HVTS - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Biomass energy is a hot topic in our current climate. While some operators build new biomass-fired boilers, others retrofit old coal-fired boilers to burn biomass. Alcali- and sulfide-induced corrosion, however, has become a problem for many boilers.
- Tue, 13 Aug 2019 12:50:56 +0000: Neutrinovoltaic Technology: Solar Cells That Don't Need Light - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The neutrinovoltaic technology developed by the Neutrino Energy Group derives electrical energy from neutrinos, which are invisible particles that bombard the Earth in roughly equal numbers every moment of every day.
- Thu, 08 Aug 2019 17:34:42 +0000: Wind powers opportunity: American Wind Week 2019 kicks off August 11 - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
During Wind Week, the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) and supporters of wind energy highlight the many ways that wind powers opportunity at dozens of events across the country and online with #AmericanWindWeek.
- Thu, 08 Aug 2019 03:19:00 +0000: HUB SB20 Energy Management and Storage System - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
As many industry technology integrators are learning, energy management solutions should no longer be considered as an add-on after the project. Instead, this category should now be viewed as a necessary part of the infrastructure, along with the network and control system.
- Thu, 08 Aug 2019 03:17:20 +0000: Mitigating Frost Upheaval with Earth Anchor Mounting System - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
This technology allows a project to mitigate a lot of the typical pain points which are usually associated with solar ground mount installs making it faster and cheaper to install and with fewer assets required.
- Tue, 06 Aug 2019 14:42:13 +0000: Sustainable, Conscious Capitalism: The Way Forward - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Adopting conscious capitalism does not mean that you can’t pursue profit. Rather, it focuses on profiting while considering the interests of all stakeholders (even the ones that can’t speak for themselves, like the environment).
- Tue, 06 Aug 2019 14:38:47 +0000: Benchmarking Commercial Building Energy Use Per Square Foot - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
In this article, we’ll discuss the average commercial building energy consumption per square foot, and tell how to measure and compare your own usage with other buildings in your industry. Let’s get started.
- Thu, 01 Aug 2019 14:50:34 +0000: RE Royalties is Financing Renewable Energy Projects to Fight Climate Change - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Unlike banks, fees do not generate the economics of our investment returns. We look for long-term partnerships with our clients because we work side-by-side in understanding their business and helping them achieve their goals.
- Wed, 31 Jul 2019 12:35:20 +0000: ENERGY STORAGE INVESTMENTS BOOM AS BATTERY COSTS HALVE IN THE NEXT DECADE - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
BNEF’s annual outlook revises up its forecast for global investment in stationary energy storage, and sees majority of capacity likely to be grid-scale
- Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:30:50 +0000: Benefits of Combining EV Charger and PV Inverters - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
We saw that by combining EV charging and solar production into one integrated solution, we could improve the way energy is produced and consumed. In addition, it made sense to embed an EV charger in an inverter as both verticals share similar customers.
- Tue, 30 Jul 2019 16:29:21 +0000: What Is The Average Utility Cost Per Square Foot Of Commercial Property? - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
For most commercial buildings, energy is the single largest operating expense, most of which comes in the form of electricity. That being the case, the cost of utility-supplied power is of major concern to property managers searching for ways to lower costs.
- Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:23:27 +0000: Deep-Cycle Batteries used for Energy Storage - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
It is much more efficient to add energy storage closer to the point of use; such as with homeowners, subdivisions, communities, small towns and cities.
- Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:22:22 +0000: How are Tariffs Impacting the Wind Energy Industry? - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
As things stand right now, the wind energy industry isn't going anywhere but it will continue to struggle under these steel tariffs. If it costs more to build wind turbines, it will cost more to generate electricity and those costs will be passed on to the consumer.
- Thu, 25 Jul 2019 13:23:30 +0000: Corporate Solar Investments Surge in United States, Report Finds - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
This year’s report contains data from both on-site and off-site installations, tracking more than 7,000 MW of installed solar capacity across 35,000 projects, up from 2,500 MW and 7,000 projects in the 2017 report.