Thin Film Solar Cells from Silicon
Moving from Silicon Solar Cells to Thin Films
The big switch from being dependent on perishable energy sources to using clean and renewable sources of energy is an unstoppable phenomenon, one which is bound to shower plenty of benefits on consumers as well as Mother Nature. This big leap towards a better future is powered by the increased utilization of renewable resources, with solar power being the biggest contributors among several other resources.
Solar energy, at present, is the cleanest and the most abundantly available forms of renewable energy available to mankind. It has the potential to provide for the current power consumption needs of the society. However, there are only two primary constraints that hinder the process of full utilization of solar energy, which comprise of the manufacturing expenses and the power efficiency conversion rate.
Since the ideal balance between cutting down the manufacturing expenses and multiplying the efficient conversion rate hasn’t been reached yet, the efforts must be channelized towards manufacturing a perfect solar module that consumes limited finances and stills offers the required level of efficiency rate for converting solar energy into electricity, the chances of which are somewhat better now with the availability of thin film solar cells.
An Introduction to Thin Film Solar Cells
The solar power industry has come a long way from what it used to be years ago. Silicon based solar cells, one of the main components of solar power generation, have been there for more than 50 years now. However, their low efficiency rate of converting solar energy into electricity and the high manufacturing costs are items of history now. This coming period is the age of Thin Film Solar Cells, which are known to be far more efficient and economical when compared to their silicon predecessors.
Thin solar cells, primarily named after their thin dimensions, are advanced and well-equipped soldiers of war for producing clear, inexpensive, and more efficient form of energy, helpful to both consumers as well as the industry. From the manufacturers’ point of view, thins films have the potential of cutting down the cost of producing solar cell modules by a dramatic amount. First of all, these films tend to reduce the required amount of material thickness to 1 micron. Secondly, they can cover a wider area, which, in turn, enables manufacturers to increase their production volume. It is because of these two unique characteristics that manufacturers are able to minimize the material expenses, thereby making thin films a cost effective means of harnessing solar energy.
As far as the consumers are concerned, thin films have enabled them to include highly effective photovoltaic material into the architecture of their buildings itself. This further helped in the procreation of a relatively new industry, Building-Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV), which is also one of the fastest advancing branches of solar power industry in the present day world.
Different Types of Thin Films Solar Cells
Currently, there are three types of thin film solar cells that are being manufactured in the industry, namely cadmium telluride (CdTe), copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS), and dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSC). Of these three, the cadmium telluride (CdTe) cells are relatively more popular and in practical utilization as against the other two categories. However, all these films are unique in terms of their nature and properties, and it is because of their innovation and progress that the solar industry has experienced a substantial boom in the past few years.
The Future Story Thin Film Solar Cells
Today, the primary objective of the energy world is to use renewable resource technology for facilitating the transition from the present, polluting utilization of non-renewable sources of energy to a technology that supports far better, cleaner and effective form of energy. Solar energy, which is perhaps the most sparkling forms of energy available in copious quantity, is one such eco-friendly way of reaching the self-sufficient and energy conserving future. Though silicon cells dominate the current chapter of the solar power industry, the efficiency and cost effectiveness of thin film cells will surely succeed in the times to come to build a better environment, while fulfilling the energy needs of the consumers and industry.
Thin film solar cells!
- Fri, 22 Mar 2019 13:01:09 +0000: "Millennials Set to Propel Solar Industry" Says Green Solar Technologies COO Edward Harner - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Green Solar Technologies COO, Edward Harner states, “At Green Solar Technologies, we’ve noticed that Millennials are particularly fond of new energy-related technologies like residential solar and ‘smart home’ concepts like onsite energy storage.”
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:20:06 +0000: Can We Turn Food Waste into Energy? - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The potential of food waste being converted to energy is just being recognized. Why waste over 70 percent of the world’s food by sending it into landfills, rather than harnessing it for energy?
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:17:43 +0000: Wells Fargo Innovation Incubator Grants $1M to Cleantech Projects - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The Wells Fargo Innovation Incubator (IN2) Channel Partner Awards are competitive grants that serve to support the cleantech ecosystem by funding sustainability-focused incubators, accelerators, and university programs
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:10:35 +0000: Q&A with Enphase, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #6 - Enphase will be talking about and setting the stage for grid-agnostic solar with Enphase Ensemble™ technology. Installers will be introduced to the core concepts around microgrid technology.
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:02:19 +0000: Writing a Pro-Solar Op-Ed Piece - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Many local solar installers agree that their main task is educating customers, lawmakers and building inspectors about solar. Local solar contractors are in a unique position to advocate for solar because they are at the crossroads ...
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 15:54:13 +0000: RELiON’s InSight Series™ Batteries - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The InSight Series™ is the first scalable, drop-in replacement lithium battery on the market today. The innovative design makes InSight batteries easy to install. Plus, they use the connections you’re already accustomed to when connecting in parallel.
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 15:49:55 +0000: Q&A with Discover Battery, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #65 - Our focus this year will be Discover´s LYNK Communication Gateway. Adding LYNK functionality to a solar system unlocks the full potential of Discover AES batteries.
- Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:25:45 +0000: Q&A with SunModo, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #18 - One of the new products we’ll be showing is EZ Grip Metal Deck Mount. It installs quickly into 26 gauge sheet metal, 1/2 plywood or 7/16 OSB roof decking material.
- Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:24:14 +0000: Q&A with Scanifly, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #42 - We just released a ground mount feature, whereby the rows of modules automatically track the terrain of a site, allowing the array to mirror the topography underneath it.
- Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:23:18 +0000: Q&A with MK Battery, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #31 - MK Battery will be promoting the new UltraFlex 17 kWh, 48v, partial-state-of-charge battery system, designed for commercial and residential off-grid and renewable applications.
- Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:21:43 +0000: ULEZ is coming: Are you ready? - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The introduction of an Ultra Low Emission Zone is intended to help improve the air quality in central London. Currently, air pollution is one of the biggest challenges London is facing.
- Wed, 13 Mar 2019 12:48:20 +0000: U.S. Solar Market Adds 10.6 GW of PV in 2018, Residential Market Rebounds - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The amount was a 2 percent decrease from 2017. However, the forecast shows the market rebounding in the years ahead, according to the newly released U.S. Solar Market Insight 2018 Year-in-Review Report from Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables and the SEIA.
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:45:07 +0000: Q&A with RBI Solar, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #45 - We have two new products that our team on-site will be talking about in the Sunflower™ (single-axis tracker) and Dahlia™ (high GCR fixed-tilt ground mount system).
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:43:35 +0000: Q&A with RoofTech, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #3 - since its introduction, the RT MINI has become a popular self-flashing mounting base that is used with any rail type mounting system.
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:42:20 +0000: Q&A with CertainTeed Corporation, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #28 - Attendees will be able to learn about upgrades to CertainTeed’s Solstice System, utilizing high-efficiency modules paired with best-in-class balance of system components
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:40:35 +0000: Q&A with Tigo Energy, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #49 - Tigo will be referencing two different TS4 System architectures for meeting Rapid Shutdown – one with safety & monitoring, one with safety & powerline communication.
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:39:19 +0000: How Renewable Energy Can Be Used for Home Restoration - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
There's always the chance that you'll lose power after a storm, flood or another extreme weather event. With renewable energy, however, you have a better chance of having power even after such an event.
- Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:31:45 +0000: Tenth Edition of Data Book Reveals Trends in U.S. and Global Renewable Energy Growth - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
This year’s edition is the first to include data and trends for electric vehicles and energy storage technologies, in addition to data-centric charts for wind, solar, hydropower, and alternative fuels.
- Fri, 08 Mar 2019 14:13:53 +0000: INTERSOLAR AND DIVERSIFIED COMMUNICATIONS CLOSE MAJOR DEAL: INTERSOLAR, EES AND POWER2DRIVE NORTH AMERICA ACQUIRED BY DIVERSIFIED COMMUNICATIONS - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Solar Promotion International and FMMI also announced that the next Intersolar, ees and Power2Drive North America events, co-located for the past eleven years in San Francisco in July, will move to San Diego Convention Center for February 4-6, 2020.
- Thu, 07 Mar 2019 15:55:21 +0000: Q&A with QuickBOLT, The NABCEP Continuing Education Conference - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The product we will be focusing on is our namesake product, the Low Profile QuickBOLT with Microflashing®. This is the 1st and only UL certified Microflashing in the world. It seals roof penetrations and does not require the installer to lift shingles or remove nails and sta