Thin Film Solar Cells from Silicon
Moving from Silicon Solar Cells to Thin Films
The big switch from being dependent on perishable energy sources to using clean and renewable sources of energy is an unstoppable phenomenon, one which is bound to shower plenty of benefits on consumers as well as Mother Nature. This big leap towards a better future is powered by the increased utilization of renewable resources, with solar power being the biggest contributors among several other resources.
Solar energy, at present, is the cleanest and the most abundantly available forms of renewable energy available to mankind. It has the potential to provide for the current power consumption needs of the society. However, there are only two primary constraints that hinder the process of full utilization of solar energy, which comprise of the manufacturing expenses and the power efficiency conversion rate.
Since the ideal balance between cutting down the manufacturing expenses and multiplying the efficient conversion rate hasn’t been reached yet, the efforts must be channelized towards manufacturing a perfect solar module that consumes limited finances and stills offers the required level of efficiency rate for converting solar energy into electricity, the chances of which are somewhat better now with the availability of thin film solar cells.
An Introduction to Thin Film Solar Cells
The solar power industry has come a long way from what it used to be years ago. Silicon based solar cells, one of the main components of solar power generation, have been there for more than 50 years now. However, their low efficiency rate of converting solar energy into electricity and the high manufacturing costs are items of history now. This coming period is the age of Thin Film Solar Cells, which are known to be far more efficient and economical when compared to their silicon predecessors.
Thin solar cells, primarily named after their thin dimensions, are advanced and well-equipped soldiers of war for producing clear, inexpensive, and more efficient form of energy, helpful to both consumers as well as the industry. From the manufacturers’ point of view, thins films have the potential of cutting down the cost of producing solar cell modules by a dramatic amount. First of all, these films tend to reduce the required amount of material thickness to 1 micron. Secondly, they can cover a wider area, which, in turn, enables manufacturers to increase their production volume. It is because of these two unique characteristics that manufacturers are able to minimize the material expenses, thereby making thin films a cost effective means of harnessing solar energy.
As far as the consumers are concerned, thin films have enabled them to include highly effective photovoltaic material into the architecture of their buildings itself. This further helped in the procreation of a relatively new industry, Building-Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV), which is also one of the fastest advancing branches of solar power industry in the present day world.
Different Types of Thin Films Solar Cells
Currently, there are three types of thin film solar cells that are being manufactured in the industry, namely cadmium telluride (CdTe), copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS), and dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSC). Of these three, the cadmium telluride (CdTe) cells are relatively more popular and in practical utilization as against the other two categories. However, all these films are unique in terms of their nature and properties, and it is because of their innovation and progress that the solar industry has experienced a substantial boom in the past few years.
The Future Story Thin Film Solar Cells
Today, the primary objective of the energy world is to use renewable resource technology for facilitating the transition from the present, polluting utilization of non-renewable sources of energy to a technology that supports far better, cleaner and effective form of energy. Solar energy, which is perhaps the most sparkling forms of energy available in copious quantity, is one such eco-friendly way of reaching the self-sufficient and energy conserving future. Though silicon cells dominate the current chapter of the solar power industry, the efficiency and cost effectiveness of thin film cells will surely succeed in the times to come to build a better environment, while fulfilling the energy needs of the consumers and industry.
Thin film solar cells!
- Fri, 17 May 2019 13:16:36 +0000: Cemex Ventures invests in Energy Vault to support rapid deployment of energy store technology using concrete blocks - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Energy Vault’s breakthrough technology was inspired by pumped hydro plants that rely on the power of gravity and the movement of water to store and discharge electricity.
- Thu, 16 May 2019 15:23:55 +0000: Renewable Energy in United States Has Exceeded Coal for the First Month Ever - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The clean energy revolution of America is at a tilting point. A recent Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis report stated that the renewable energy sector in United States generated more clean energy in April than power plants using coal.
- Thu, 16 May 2019 15:21:50 +0000: Pointers for Successful Inclusion of Solar Home Systems as Power Backup Support in Rural and Small Towns of India - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Enhancing access to reliable power would mean improving transmission infrastructure and electricity production capacities. Both these initiative would demand investments and a considerable timeline.
- Wed, 15 May 2019 18:08:39 +0000: The smarter E AWARD, Intersolar AWARD and ees AWARD winners were chosen - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
• The smarter E AWARD 2019: Recognizing groundbreaking projects for the new energy world • Intersolar AWARD 2019: Honoring innovations in solar technology • ees AWARD 2019: Innovative products and solutions win prestigious industry prize
- Wed, 15 May 2019 12:34:16 +0000: Stainless steel lends long life to Merkur wind farm structure - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
With offshore wind farms like Merkur expected to generate energy over an operating life of 25 years, operation and maintenance typically accounts for 15-25 percent of their total lifecycle cost.
- Tue, 14 May 2019 15:33:44 +0000: How to Design a Solar Power System - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Designing a solar power system isn't as easy as just slapping a few panels on the roof and calling it a day. What do you need to take into account when designing a solar power system?
- Tue, 14 May 2019 15:28:22 +0000: Talking Single-axis Tracker with Kevin Ward, RBI Solar - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
RBI’s Sunflower single-axis tracker is designed and engineered to meet the project development challenges of topography and maximized PV density. The system has an articulating table design, which accommodates undulating North/South slope tolerances up +/- 10%
- Tue, 14 May 2019 15:27:08 +0000: Electric Vehicles: IDTechEx Research Forecasts $2.6 Trillion Market, Many New Sectors - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
olor changing cars, ones with energy storage bodywork, light-emitting glass that darkens at a touch? All have been demonstrated. Supercapacitor buses charging in 10 seconds?
- Thu, 09 May 2019 15:15:45 +0000: Solar Decathlon Design Challenge Takeaways - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Being a juror is an amazing experience. It is heartening to see how thoughtful the teams were in their designs. The students included innovative approaches to achieve the design goals and some created models to show off their design.
- Thu, 09 May 2019 15:11:59 +0000: Top Mobile Apps for Solar Installers - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Mobile technology has shown its prominence in the solar industry, where inverter manufacturers develop their own digital user experiences for PV owners eager to monitor the health of their systems.
- Thu, 09 May 2019 12:21:58 +0000: Toward 100% Clean Energy: Two Million Solar Strong and Growing - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Today, IREC proudly joins the collective voice of advocates and industry celebrating a milestone we have worked for 37 years to witness: two million solar installations now in the U.S.
- Tue, 07 May 2019 15:05:45 +0000: 2019’s Battery Tech Challenge - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Developing markets mean opportunity and threat for battery technology.
- Tue, 07 May 2019 13:23:21 +0000: LONGi 72 Bifacial Half Cell Module Achieves World Record with 450W Front-Side Power - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
On April 29, LONGi announced that the front side power of its 72-cell Bifacial half-cut module exceeded 450W, achieving the world's highest power in this module type. This new record was tested and verified by renowned certification agency TÜV-SÜD.
- Thu, 02 May 2019 21:16:19 +0000: Sonoma Family Replaces Home Lost to Fire with BONE Structure Net Zero Energy Home - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
They could save you up to 90% on energy costs for heating and cooling. No mold, no moisture and no premature deterioration of materials, the homes are beautiful, solid and contemporary.
- Thu, 02 May 2019 14:56:26 +0000: Renewable Energy Strategy in the Middle East - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
There is an unbroken and even accelerating deployment rate of renewables on Middle Eastern grid systems. Through this diversification of energy generation the need for storage is the best way to mitigate between demand and production of intermittent energy.
- Thu, 02 May 2019 14:55:48 +0000: Reusing Renewable Energy Products - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
We started RENewed Wind and Solar because we don’t think quality renewable energy equipment should sit in a warehouse — or worse, go to a landfill. We think there’s a better way. Reuse.
- Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:14:22 +0000: How to Design a Rooftop Solar System for Maximum Energy Density? - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
For some installations it may make sense to reduce the tilt of the modules to a less optimal incident angle. Though this means less production on a per module-basis, it can mean a significant increase in the daily unshaded collection time for the array.
- Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:11:57 +0000: Trend to Watch: Bifacial Modules - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Bifacial solar modules are becoming more popular in the solar industry. These modules can absorb sunlight from both sides as opposed to just one. Therefore, they can convert the light that is reflected behind the panel to increase the total energy production.
- Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:16:35 +0000: Shoals Technologies Group - Inventing Simple® - From the Back of the Glass to the Inverter - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Inventing Simple® isn’t just a slogan to us, it’s a way of life. Using simple plug-and-play ideology, we revolutionized solar installations in 2003 with our Interconnect System™. Our harnessing system is now the gold standard EPC’s use around the world. By using simple ideas, we are making solar energy a more affordable and clean power source for future generations.
- Thu, 25 Apr 2019 15:55:34 +0000: Energy-efficient building codes are a cost-effective foundation for rooftop solar - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
With the US building stock estimated to add a net average of 1.4 million homes each year, states will need to minimize their energy use and greenhouse gas emissions by focusing on effective building codes and standards.