Thin Film Solar Cells from Silicon
Moving from Silicon Solar Cells to Thin Films
The big switch from being dependent on perishable energy sources to using clean and renewable sources of energy is an unstoppable phenomenon, one which is bound to shower plenty of benefits on consumers as well as Mother Nature. This big leap towards a better future is powered by the increased utilization of renewable resources, with solar power being the biggest contributors among several other resources.
Solar energy, at present, is the cleanest and the most abundantly available forms of renewable energy available to mankind. It has the potential to provide for the current power consumption needs of the society. However, there are only two primary constraints that hinder the process of full utilization of solar energy, which comprise of the manufacturing expenses and the power efficiency conversion rate.
Since the ideal balance between cutting down the manufacturing expenses and multiplying the efficient conversion rate hasn’t been reached yet, the efforts must be channelized towards manufacturing a perfect solar module that consumes limited finances and stills offers the required level of efficiency rate for converting solar energy into electricity, the chances of which are somewhat better now with the availability of thin film solar cells.
An Introduction to Thin Film Solar Cells
The solar power industry has come a long way from what it used to be years ago. Silicon based solar cells, one of the main components of solar power generation, have been there for more than 50 years now. However, their low efficiency rate of converting solar energy into electricity and the high manufacturing costs are items of history now. This coming period is the age of Thin Film Solar Cells, which are known to be far more efficient and economical when compared to their silicon predecessors.
Thin solar cells, primarily named after their thin dimensions, are advanced and well-equipped soldiers of war for producing clear, inexpensive, and more efficient form of energy, helpful to both consumers as well as the industry. From the manufacturers’ point of view, thins films have the potential of cutting down the cost of producing solar cell modules by a dramatic amount. First of all, these films tend to reduce the required amount of material thickness to 1 micron. Secondly, they can cover a wider area, which, in turn, enables manufacturers to increase their production volume. It is because of these two unique characteristics that manufacturers are able to minimize the material expenses, thereby making thin films a cost effective means of harnessing solar energy.
As far as the consumers are concerned, thin films have enabled them to include highly effective photovoltaic material into the architecture of their buildings itself. This further helped in the procreation of a relatively new industry, Building-Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV), which is also one of the fastest advancing branches of solar power industry in the present day world.
Different Types of Thin Films Solar Cells
Currently, there are three types of thin film solar cells that are being manufactured in the industry, namely cadmium telluride (CdTe), copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS), and dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSC). Of these three, the cadmium telluride (CdTe) cells are relatively more popular and in practical utilization as against the other two categories. However, all these films are unique in terms of their nature and properties, and it is because of their innovation and progress that the solar industry has experienced a substantial boom in the past few years.
The Future Story Thin Film Solar Cells
Today, the primary objective of the energy world is to use renewable resource technology for facilitating the transition from the present, polluting utilization of non-renewable sources of energy to a technology that supports far better, cleaner and effective form of energy. Solar energy, which is perhaps the most sparkling forms of energy available in copious quantity, is one such eco-friendly way of reaching the self-sufficient and energy conserving future. Though silicon cells dominate the current chapter of the solar power industry, the efficiency and cost effectiveness of thin film cells will surely succeed in the times to come to build a better environment, while fulfilling the energy needs of the consumers and industry.
Thin film solar cells!
- Wed, 16 Oct 2019 18:43:53 +0000: Woburn Continues to be Leader in Green Energy Production--New Solar System on Joyce Middle School to Save the City $29,000 a Year - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
A solar energy system on the City of Woburn (MA) middle school, installed and financed through the PowerOptions Solar Program with Solect Energy, is complete and delivering substantial savings and environmental benefits.
- Wed, 16 Oct 2019 14:01:51 +0000: How Energy Deregulation Works For You - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Innovative online brokerage platform Power Kiosk is opening up the benefits of the deregulated energy industry to consumers and brokers alike.
- Tue, 15 Oct 2019 14:22:43 +0000: How to Build a Business Case for a Smart Energy Solution - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
We’ve reached the point where the question should be when and not if companies should start looking into optimizing their energy consumption. However, an alarmingly small amount have begun to make the change.
- Mon, 14 Oct 2019 14:49:49 +0000: California Will Hit Climate Targets More Than 100 Years Too Late If Current Pace of Emissions Reductions Holds - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Eleventh annual California Green Innovation Index finds state climate goals in question without major policy and technology breakthroughs to dramatically accelerate emissions decline.
- Thu, 10 Oct 2019 15:26:23 +0000: Software Is Changing The Solar Power Industry: Here’s 5 Reasons Why - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
With advanced technology, companies have embarked on an energy software development process that has enabled companies and individuals to control how energy is produced, circulated, and used.
- Wed, 09 Oct 2019 15:08:33 +0000: Laws Helping to Tackle Carbon Emissions - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
As of June 27th, 2019, the UK government became the first major economy in the world to draft legislation pinpointing an end date to carbon emissions.
- Wed, 09 Oct 2019 14:23:55 +0000: Solar Energy Storage Market is Expected to Cross An Annual Installation of 3 GW by 2025 - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Industrial inclination favoring the installation of energy storage solutions coupled with the lowering cost related to implementations will foster solar energy storage industry share over the projected time period.
- Tue, 08 Oct 2019 16:32:54 +0000: USTR Rushes to Judgment on Bifacial Exemption - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Following is a statement from SEIA's President and CEO Abigail Ross Hopper regarding the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative’s decision to impose tariffs on bifacial solar panels:
- Tue, 08 Oct 2019 14:31:17 +0000: Energy to Go - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
No matter if it’s a flashlight or a Tesla: They don’t work without a battery. But what is the battery technology of the future? Researchers all over the world are looking for new solutions.
- Thu, 03 Oct 2019 15:22:01 +0000: Is Nuclear Energy Still Viable? - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Our aging nuclear plants need to be replaced but the new ones fail to compete on price with natural gas and renewable sources such as wind and solar energy.
- Wed, 02 Oct 2019 15:14:43 +0000: Wind Turbines - Safe Operation After Expired Service Life - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
As wind farms age, an increasing number of turbine operators are confronted with crucial business decisions. Should the turbines be decommissioned? Will replacement bring a benefit?
- Tue, 01 Oct 2019 15:04:53 +0000: Providing Clean Energy to 7.7 Billion People in <30 Years - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
On the supply side we need to look at the notion of generate local, consume local. We can begin building micro-grids, or smaller fractal, self-similar grids that are composed into a larger grid infrastructure in economic industrial centers.
- Mon, 30 Sep 2019 14:52:12 +0000: Should You Buy or Lease Solar Panels? - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Leasing is primarily cheaper in the short run and more expensive in the long run. The down payment is either very small or non-existent. And if you do decide to lease, you'll be in good company: more than 70% of those who installed solar panels in 2014 did so through leasing
- Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:39:40 +0000: Energy Trading: Blockchain Energy Market - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
The growth of the blockchain in energy market is mainly driven by the rising security concerns across the globe, need to manage infrastructure and other business functions through high transaction speeds and immutability, and increasing popularity in the energy sector.
- Thu, 26 Sep 2019 15:13:35 +0000: C4V Driven Technology to Scale Manufacturing of Lithium Ion Batteries - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
C4V Chemistry is a phosphate-based composite cathode that utilises low-cost materials, molecular doping of lithium rich bio-mineral in super-cell of crystal structure.
- Wed, 25 Sep 2019 18:25:31 +0000: Diversity & Inclusion Cuts Through Noise of North America’s Largest Solar Trade Show - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
As part of the solar industry’s commitment to promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce, customer base and supply chain, SPI and NASEW 2019 featured an array of new programming to address and discuss diversity & inclusion challenges.
- Tue, 24 Sep 2019 22:40:39 +0000: National 3iAward Winners and Energy Heroes Honored by IREC at Solar Power International - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
"Their work is creating new opportunities and setting new standards in states and communities across the U.S.," added Ken Jurman, IREC board member and chair of the 3iAwards Committee.
- Tue, 24 Sep 2019 19:12:45 +0000: Forecast: Solar Tax Credit Extension Would Boost Jobs, Economy and Climate Fight - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
An extension of the solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) would spark $87 billion in new private sector investment and add 113,000 American jobs over baseline estimates by 2030, according to 10-year forecasts released today by the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA).
- Tue, 24 Sep 2019 14:14:05 +0000: Choosing the Right Solution Solar on Flat Roofs – Ballasted, Attached & Hybrid - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
If you’ve installed solar on a steep pitched roof, working on a flat roof probably seems like a dream come true. There’s no hardware rolling down gutters, no fall protection lanyard tripping you, and you can use a wheeled cart to move equipment around the job site.
- Tue, 24 Sep 2019 14:11:59 +0000: SPI 2019 - LG Solar - AltEnergyMag.com Articles, Stories and Products
Booth #1837. This not only marks a major moment in time for the industry, but for LG as well, as it is a launchpad for our industry-leading energy solutions for the residential and commercial markets in the United States.